The treadmill belt is a part found in the machine where you run or walk on. This part moves around when the machine is turned on. Once you have acquired a treadmill, it needs to be maintained as we do to other machines. In case you notice that your treadmill belt is losing you have to tighten it. We are now going to dwell on how to tighten a treadmill belt, how tight a treadmill should be and how to lubricate a treadmill belt.
How to tighten the treadmill belt
Similar to all machines, often those machines need to be tightened because they become loose. Once you realize that the space between the board and belt are close, you need to tighten it. When the belt is loose, your work can’t run normally but tightening it will make it simple and quick. Below is a guide on how we can tighten a treadmill belt.
I know the question that is going round in your mind. Is there any need to tighten a new treadmill? I won’t say yes or no. Treadmills differ from each other; some need to be tightened immediately when you buy them, while others function very well for a long time without adjustment.
If you are running or walking and you see that your belt is not in good condition, e.g. pausing definitely your belt need to be tightened. Below are steps on how we can tighten a treadmill belt.
- Remove your machine and unplug it from the source of power.
- Adjust by inserting the Allen wrench by moving every bolt in a clockwise manner.
- Look the clearance of the treadmill belt from the deck by raising it, ready to know whether it’s 3 inches about.
- If your clearance is too much, ensure you turn it from time to time until it’s correct.
It’s also good when you are tightening the belt ensures that you don’t over tighten the belt. If your belt happens to be over-tightened, it might burn out and fail to function as normal.
How tight should a treadmill be?
Normally it’s always good to lift the machine when you hire, to ensure that the belt is in the middle. In case you raise your treadmill three or four inches, and you are unable to lift it. It means that your belt is too tight. To tighten it, you have to use Allen wrench and balance the bolts on both sides.
Many people may ask, is it good to over- tighten your treadmills? But I tell you don’t ever try it. A treadmill that is over- tightened tends to cause strain in the motor and also separate the seams which earlier were joined, making your machine not to work fine.
How to lubricate a treadmill belt
According to Antonio Cordoba, he said that the best medicine we can offer to a treadmill is lubrication. He also said that many technical problems are seen due to lack of lubrication. Below is an explanation on how to lubricate a treadmill.
- Remove the treadmill belt from the deck with one hand.
- Using the second hand, apply the silicone spray under the belt.
- Apply to the centre, down and up all over the sides of the belt.
- Continue rotating the belt so that the silicone lubricant can touch all the corners of the belt.
- If you are through run your treadmill at a low speed of about 3 minutes, applying the silicone lubricant all over the running belt and deck.
- Then clean your belt using a detergent for it to look dry and clean. Always ensure that you don’t over lubricate your belt, it’s hazardous since it becomes slippery and you can fall.
It’s also advisable when applying the lubricant to the treadmill belt; ensure you locate it on a place that is cleanable. Clean also any extra silicone of the belt.
It’s always good for you to understand your treadmill well and know how it operates, so that in case of anything you stay alert. Ensure that your treadmill is fit to use always. For those who have already acquired one I know they know now the benefit of having it. Now I know you are smiling because we have known how we can tighten it also how tight it should be and how to lubricate our treadmill belt.